FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 kicks off
The much-awaited FIFA U-17 World Cup kicks off today with four opening day matches to be played in Delhi and Mumbai. The opening matches would be played by teams in Group A and B. This is the first time that India will be participating in a FIFA World Cup.
The much-awaited FIFA U-17 World Cup kicks off today, 6 October 2017 with four opening day matches to be played in Delhi and Mumbai.
The opening matches would be played by teams in Group A and B. In Delhi, the inaugural match would be played between Group A teams Colombia and Ghana at Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, followed by hosts India who would take on team USA in the second match.
In Mumbai, Group B team New Zealand would be taking on Turkey in the first game at DY Patil stadium in Navi Mumbai, followed by Paraguay against Mali.
• This is the first time that India will be participating in a FIFA World Cup.
• In all 24 countries from six confederations are participating in the youth tournament.
• The total number of matches are 52, which will be held in six cities – New Delhi, Kochi, Kolkata, Margao, Navi Mumbai and Guwahati - across the country.
• The tournament will conclude on 28 October 2017.
• The football extravaganza is expected to attract viewership from all over the globe, almost up to 200 million.
India in FIFA U-17
• The Indian U-17 team is going to create history, as it will be the first time ever that a team representing India will participate in a FIFA-organised world tournament, let alone the Under-17 World Cup.
• India’s first match is against the United States of America, which is known for its man-to-man marking.
• Overall, India is placed in a tough group – Group A, along with USA, Colombia and two-time champions Ghana.
• Though USA are the clear favourites in the group, India would have the advantage of playing on its home ground.
India’s is going into the historic tournament with a 21-man squad names of whom are as follows:
Captain: Amarjit Singh Kiyam
Coach: Luís Norton de Matos'
Goalkeepers: Dheeraj Singh, Prabhsukhan Gill, Sunny Dhaliwal
Defenders: Boris Singh, Jitendra Singh, Anwar Ali, Sanjeev Stalin, Hendry Antonay, Namit Deshpande
Midfielders: Suresh Singh, Ninthoinganba Meetei, Amarjit Singh Kiyam, Abhijit Sarkar, Komal Thatal, Lalengmawia, Jeakson Singh, Nongdamba Naorem, Rahul Kannoly Praveen, Md. Shahjahan
Forwards/ Strikers: Rahim Ali, Aniket Jadhav.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS