Haryana Cabinet approves new rehabilitation policy for slum dwellers
Haryana Cabinet has approved the Slum-In-Situ Rehabilitation Policy to provide housing facility to the slum dwellers in the state without making them relocate to other areas. The expenditure for building the housing facility for the slum dwellers will be borne by the Centre and the state government.
Sangeeta NairApr 13, 2018 13:22 IST
The state cabinet of Haryana on April 12, 2018 approved the Slum-In-Situ Rehabilitation Policy to provide housing facility to the slum dwellers in the state without making them relocate to other areas. The cabinet was chaired by the state’s Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
Under the new policy, a total of Rs 1.67 lakh per dwelling unit will be provided to the developer for the construction of the houses.
The expenditure for building the housing facility for the slum dwellers will be borne by the Centre and the state government.
While the Union government will provide financial assistance worth Rs one lakh per dwelling unit, the state government will provide assistance worth Rs 67,000 per dwelling unit.
• The slums, which are currently spread horizontally on the government land, will be accumulated partially by means of group housing or flats.
• The carpet area prescription of 30 square meters will be substituted with 50 square meters.
• The area left after providing the housing accommodation to the slum dwellers will then be given as free sale component to cross-subsidise the developers.
• The decision would help keep a check on encroachment, as the leftover land could be used for other purposes.
• The allotment of the dwelling units would be conducted under the supervision of a Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner.
In case of Municipal Corporation Gurugram and Faridabad, the beneficiaries will have to pay Rs one lakh per dwelling unit or flat in 24 monthly installments.
In other Municipal Corporations, the beneficiaries will have to pay Rs 75,000 per dwelling unit.
In case of Municipal Council and Municipal Committee, the beneficiaries will have to pay Rs 50000 and Rs 25000 per dwelling unit.
The lock-in period of an allotted flat or dwelling unit under the scheme will be for 10 years.
The rehabilitation policy was framed by the Haryana government in January 2018 for people living in slums on government land in the urban areas of the state.
The policy proposed the construction of dwelling units for slum dwellers in urban areas.
Under the policy framework, the dwelling units would be given to the beneficiary on lease for 15 years, after which ownership right would be given.