Hockey India on May 1, 2018 appointed Harendra Singh as the chief coach of the Indian men’s hockey team, replacing Sjoerd Marijne who will return back to his responsibility as coach of the Indian Women’s Hockey Team.
Under Singh’s guidance, the Indian women's team finished an impressive fourth at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. The Indian men’s hockey team, however, had a disappointing run at CWG 2018, as the team lost to England in the bronze medal playoff match, finishing without a medal for the first time since CWG 2006.
About Harendra Singh
• Harendra Singh represented India during 1985 to 1991, playing 43 games before retiring at the age of 26. He took to coaching in 1998 and has coached almost 400 matches till present.
• Singh coached the Indian men's hockey side previously from 2009 to 2011. He, however, resigned from the position after the team’s poor performance during the Azlan Shah Cup in 2011 where they finished sixth.
• In 2014, he was appointed as the coach of Indian junior men's hockey team and had led the team to clinch the Junior World Cup title in 2016.
• The junior team had also won gold in the Asia Cup, the Eurasia Cup and the Four-Nation tournament prior to the World Cup.
• Overall, under Singh’s guidance, the senior and junior men’s team won eight gold medals, five silvers and nine bronzes in various international tournaments.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
• In 2012, Singh was honoured with the Dronacharya Award, the highest sports coaching honour in the country.
• In November 2017, he was appointed as the chief coach of the women's hockey team after Marijne was named as the men's coach, replacing the sacked Roelant Oltmans.
• Under his coaching, the women’s side that finished 12th at the Rio Olympics won its ninth Asia Cup title in Japan, in 2017.
Meanwhile, the 44-year-old Marijne had a good run with the women’s hockey team during his first stint. Under his guidance, the women’s team qualified for the Hockey World League Semi-Final.
Home Ministry launches ‘e-Sahaj’ portal for grant of security clearance to private firms
Union Cabinet approves Triple Talaq Ordinance, making triple talaq an offence
PM Modi, Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina jointly launch construction of Indo-Bangla Pipeline Project
Government organises All India Pension Adalat for pensioners’ welfare