Illumina, Bill Gates & Jeff Bezos launched startup GRAIL to develop blood-based cancer tests
The test, which is also called as liquid biopsy, will use high-speed DNA sequencing machines to scour a person’s blood for fragments of DNA released by cancer cells.
Illumina, the world’s largest DNA sequencing company, on 10 January 2016 announced the launch of the startup named GRAIL to develop blood-based cancer tests.
The company was launched in association with Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezo’s venture fund Bezos Expeditions and Arch Venture Partners.
Details related to Illumina
• The company will develop blood tests that cost 1000 US dollars or less for detecting many types of cancer before symptoms arise.
• The test, which is also called as liquid biopsy, will use high-speed DNA sequencing machines to scour a person’s blood for fragments of DNA released by cancer cells.
• All the partners in the startup raised around 100 million US dollars among themselves, in which Illumina will have the majority stake holder.
• The newly developed tests are expected to reach the market by 2019.
• GRAIL will operate from San Diego in California, the USA.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS