India clinches Nidahas Trophy in last-ball thriller
India pulled off an unforgettable chase beating Bangladesh by four wickets in the Nidahas T20 tri-series final at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo. The nerve-breaking victory came as a result of an incredible performance by wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Karthik who hit a six off the last ball.
Sangeeta NairMar 19, 2018 13:33 IST
India on March 18, 2018 pulled off an unforgettable chase beating Bangladesh by four wickets in the Nidahas T20 tri-series final at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The nerve-breaking victory came as a result of an incredible performance by wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Karthik who came in at the fag end of India’s batting, with the team needing 34 off the last two overs.
The Turning Point
With five needed off the final delivery, Karthik did what Pakistani legend Javed Miandad did against India 32 years back in Sharjah and played the last ball over the extra cover for a six, sealing a stunning win for India.
It would count as one of India’s famous last-ball sixes.
Key Highlights of the Match
• Indian skipper Rohit Sharma won the toss and chose to bowl, putting Bangladesh to bat first.
• In reply, Bangladesh put up a comfortable total of 166/8 in 20 overs with Sabbir Rahman leading the run tally with his well-made 77 runs off 50 balls.
• Indian Off-spinner Washington Sundar (1/20) and leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal (3/ 18) were brilliant in the PowerPlay, bowling 20 dot balls and conceding only one boundary between them.
• The duo of Vijay Shankar (0/ 48) and Shardul Thakur (0/ 45) however, gave away 93 runs between them, conceding 10 boundaries and four sixes.
• Though Sharma gave the Men in Blue a flying start, India lost the wickets of Shikhar Dhawan (10) and Suresh Raina (0) within the span of six balls in the 3rd and 4th over respectively to slip to 32/2 in 3.3 overs.
• Sharma however, kept the momentum going and along with KL Rahul put up 51 runs for the third wicket in six overs.
• Sharma fell for 56 to Nazmul Islam in the 14th over with India needing 69 off 40 balls, setting India’s inexperienced middle-order in panic mode.
• Karthik came at the start of the 19th over and hit Rubel Hossain for 22 including two sixes and two fours to bring down the equation to 12 off the final over before pulling off the final six to finish of an unbelievable play.
About Nidahas Trophy
• The 2018 Nidahas Trophy, held in Sri Lanka, was a tri-nation series between host Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India.
• Each team played each other twice, with two teams finally progressing to the final.
• The tournament was played to celebrate Sri Lanka's 70th year of independence.
• The title of the tournament, Nidahas, is derived from a Sinhalese word meaning ‘freedom’.
• The opening match of the tournament, which was held between Sri Lanka and India, took place under tight security following the imposition of emergency in Sri Lanka by the government after violence broke out between minority Muslims and Sinhalese Buddhists in certain districts like Ampara and Kandy.
• The final match was played between India and Bangladesh, which India won by 4 wickets.