International Kabaddi Federation on 31 July 2016 selected India to host The 2016 Kabaddi World Cup. The World Cup featuring 12 countries is scheduled to be held in October 2016, the dates for the event will be announced later.
Participants of the tournament include India, USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and Kenya.
Kabaddi became a part of Asian Games in the year 1990 and India has won all the gold medals since.
• Official broadcaster: Star Sports was selected to broadcast the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup
• President of International Kabaddi Federation: Janardan Singh Gehlot
• Kabaddi originated from India and is the one of the most popular games of Asia.
• It is probably the only game which requires ground and a whistle only.
• It came on international Map during SAF Games Dhaka in 1985.
• Kabaddi saw its major breakthrough in 1990 when it was included in the Asian Games during 11th Asian Games at Beijing-China in 1990, since then Kabaddi is a regular discipline in Asian Games.
• Kabaddi was included in Asian Indoor Games during 2nd Asian Indoor Games at Macau-SAR China in 1997.
• Kabaddi achieved one more success when it was included in Asian Beach Games during 1st Asian Beach Games at Bali-Indonesia in 1998 and that too for Men & Women both.
• It is the only game being played in all the 3 versions of Asian Games i.e. Asian Games, Asian Indoor Games and Asian Beach Games
• Women Kabaddi was included in Asian Games during 16th Asian Games at Guangzhou in 2010.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App