National Cancer Institute at Jhajjar a part of AIIMS Delhi; AIIMS Rewari to come up as 22nd AIIMS in country
As announced in the speech of Interim Budget 2019, the AIIMS Rewari will be 22nd AIIMS to come up in the country and the first in Haryana. The site for this AIIMS has already been finalised at Manethi in Rewari, Haryana.
Rupali PruthiFeb 27, 2019 11:15 IST
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) at Jhajjar, Haryana, recently dedicated to the nation by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is an integral part of All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
This tertiary healthcare institute dedicated for cancer care is the second campus of the AIIMS Delhi only.
Built at a cost of Rs. 2035 crores, NCI is the largest investment by the Government in a single hospital project and holds the unique distinction of being one of the mega healthcare projects to be completed in a record time of 3 years.
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
• The NCI will have 710 patient care beds dedicated for cancer prevention, treatment, research and education.
• It will be equipped with cutting edge technology and shall have 25 Operation Theatres, 5 Linear Accelerators, 4 PET Scanners, 3 Brachy-therapy, 2 CT Scanners, 2 MRI Scanners and much more.
• It will also have the first public sector proton facility of the country, a new prototype in the treatment of cancer patients.
• India’s first public sector ‘Robotic Core Clinical Laboratory’ has been established at NCI at a cost of Rs. 15 crores. This Laboratory can perform over 60000 tests in a day and has the capability to give reports in two hours.
• It will have advanced digital integration of Hospital Critical Care Systems and door to discharge paperless patient records.
• It will focus on translational research on India Specific Cancers which shall enable early detection of cancers and better treatment outcomes.
• Various countries like USA, France, UK, etc., have entered into research collaborations with NCI.
• It has also collaborated with Department of AYUSH for research into the role of Indian Systems of Medicine in prevention and cure of cancer.
As announced in the speech of Interim Budget 2019, the AIIMS Rewari will be 22nd AIIMS to come up in the country and the first in Haryana.
The site for this AIIMS has already been finalised at Manethi in Rewari, Haryana.
Like other AIIMS in the country, the AIIMS Rewari will also be set up under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
This will be a greenfield project for which funds have been given separately by the Central Government.
The establishment of new AIIMS will provide super specialty health care to the people of Haryana and nearby areas.
The Institute will also create a large pool of doctors and other health workers for the region that can be used at primary and secondary level institutions being created under National Health Mission (NHM).