29 August: National Sports Day
India on August 29, 2018 observed the National Sports Day 2018 to mark the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand who was born on August 29, 1905.
Every year on this day, the President of India confers National sports and adventure awards including Arjuna and Khel Ratna to celebrate the achievements of exceptional athletes in the country. However, this year, the date has been postponed to September 25, 2018 in the wake of ongoing Asian Games 2018.
Indian athletes are currently participating in the Asian Games 2018, taking place at Jakarta, Indonesia. The Asian Games, also known as Asiad, is a continental multi-sport event held every four years between athletes from all over Asia.
About Dhyan Chand
• Born on 29 August 1905 in Allahabad, Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player and was considered as one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
• He was known for his extraordinary goal-scoring feats.
• He helped India to win three Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936 in field hockey.
• He was known as “The Wizard” for his superb ball control.
• He scored more than 400 goals in his career which spanned over 22 years.
• In 1956, he was awarded with the third highest civilian honour of Padma Bhushan.
• The Union Government in 2012 decided to celebrate his birthday, i.e. 29 August, as the country’s National Sports Day.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider