The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) of the NITI Aayog and the IBM India Private Limited on October 11, 2018 announced a first-of-its-kind Student Internship Programme for students selected under the mission.
The IBM internship program is focussed on enhancing the skills of the students via various innovative activities like design thinking approach, developing prototypes and solution for community issues.
Student Internship Programme
• Under the internship programme, 38 students will receive a two-week paid internship and 14 teachers from Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL) across the length and breadth of the country to ideate, collaborate and innovate.
• These students will be equipped with the skills for new collar careers in areas like artificial intelligence, Internet-of-Things, cybersecurity, cloud computing and blockchain.
• Apart from being trained in emerging technologies, students will also be coached in critical workplace skills.
• As part of the program, selected teachers from ATLs will also be trained by IBM volunteers and mentors to become innovation coaches.
• The two-week program is designed so that students can experience the corporate environment and gain exposure to new technologies.
• To scale the programme, top-performing students will be selected for industry exposure to strengthen their technical skills and prepare them for future jobs.
Atal Tinkering Marathon
The Atal Innovation Mission conducted the Atal Tinkering Marathon in 2017 where Top 30 innovations across five focus areas were identified. These fiver focus areas were agritech, healthcare, smart mobility, clean energy, waste management and water management.
Students from the Top 30 teams have since been offered various opportunities like the Student Innovator Programme, the ATL Bootcamp with industry partners, opportunity to participate in global innovation contests like World Robot Olympiad (WRO), and an internship opportunity with IBM India.
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
• Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is Union Government's flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
• AIM is mandated to create an umbrella structure to oversee innovation ecosystem of the country.
• AIM envisions the creation of a collaborative ecosystem, where students, teachers, mentors and industry partners work to facilitate innovation, foster scientific temper and an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Atal Tinkering Laboratories (ATLs), Atal Incubation Centre and Established Incubation Centre will take the innovations to the market and a network of incubators will help create enterprises around these innovations.
• So far, AIM has already announced selection of 2441 schools across India to establish ATLs covering 93 percent of the total districts in India and 98 percent of the upcoming smart cities.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week