13th BRICS Summit: PM Modi chairs summit, leaders cover pandemic, Afghan crisis, terror threat- Check details
13th BRICS Summit chaired by PM Modi saw the participation of all 5 leaders. During the summit, the Russian President highlighted the Afghanistan crisis while the President of China talked about equality and inclusiveness.
Prime Minister Modi on September 9, 2021, chaired the 13th BRICS Summit virtually. The theme for the BRICS Summit was ‘BRICS@15: Intra BRICS cooperation for continuity, consolidation, and consensus’.
The 13th summit of the BRICS grouping was attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin, President of Brazil Jair Bolsanaro, Chinese President Xi Jinping, and the President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa.
This will also be the second time that Prime Minister Modi will chair the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) Summit. Earlier in 2016, Prime Minister had chaired the Goa Summit.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chairs the 13th BRICS Summit, via video conference pic.twitter.com/V565oDqTK3— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
PM Modi chairs 13th BRICS Summit
• Prime Minister Modi thanked all the members of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) for the full cooperation that India received during its chairship of BRICS.
India has received full cooperation from all members during its chairship of BRICS. I thank all members for this: Prime Minister Narendra Modi during 13th BRICS Summit pic.twitter.com/FPrRwDyeQX— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• While talking about the theme selected by India for the duration of its chairship, Prime Minister Modi noted that these 4Cs are the basic principles of our BRICS Partnership. The theme was "BRICS@15: Intra BRICS cooperation for continuity, consolidation, and consensus."
The theme selected by India for the duration of its chairship is 'BRICS @ 15: Intra-BRICS cooperation for continuity, consolidation and consensus’. These 4 Cs are basic principles of our BRICS partnership: PM Narendra Modi pic.twitter.com/rpA3Qzkfx2— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• Prime Minister Modi further noted that BRICS member nations need to ensure that BRICS yields more results in 15 years. He further added that the theme chosen by India for its chairship also reflects its priority.
We will have to ensure that BRICS yields more results in 15 years. The theme that has been chosen by India for its chairmanship, reflects this priority: PM Narendra Modi chairs the 13th BRICS Summit pic.twitter.com/fXx3RvQNWz— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• While informing about the success of BRICS under India's chairship, PM Modi informed that despite the COVID-19 situation in 2021, over 150 BRICS meetings and events were organised, and of these, over 20 were ministerial-level. He added that BRICS also achieved many firsts in 2021 and that our water resources ministers were also meet in BRICS format for the first time in November 2021.
Despite COVID situation this yr, over 150 BRICS meetings & events were organised. Of these, over 20 were ministerial-level. We tried to expand BRICS agenda. BRICS achieved many firsts this yr...Our Water Resources Ministers will meet in BRICS format for the first time in Nov: PM pic.twitter.com/Dk2uaeDLmV— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• Prime Minister Modi also said that India has adopted the BRICS counter-terrorism action plan during its chairship at BRICS.
We have also adopted BRICS Counter-Terrorism Action Plan: Prime Minister Narendra Modi chairs 13th BRICS Summit pic.twitter.com/vgs7YNcLrw— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
BRICS nations must continue to safeguard people's lives: President of South Africa
• The President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa during his address at the 13th BRICS Summit said that the collective response by BRICS members to COVID-19 has demonstrated what can be achieved if we all work together. He added that as BRICS nations we must continue to safeguard our people's lives, livelihoods, support global economic recovery, and enhance the resilience of public systems.
Our collected response to COVID19 has demonstrated what can be achieved when we work together. As BRICS countries we must continue to safeguard our people's lives, livelihoods, support global economic recovery & enchance resilience of public systems: South African Pres Ramaphosa pic.twitter.com/xj3D5h5t9U— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• The South African President further said that we all must also ensure equal access to COVID-19 vaccine, therapeutics, and diagnostics as this is the only way in which we can respond to this pandemic that has engulfed the world.
We must also ensure equal access to COVID19 vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics. This is the only way in which we can respond to this pandemic that engulfs the world: President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa pic.twitter.com/YoKTstTIjJ— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
Five nations have maintained the momentum of BRICS, says Chinese President
• The President of China Xi Jinping during his address at the 13th BRICS summit said that over the past 15 years, the 5 nations have enhanced the strategic communication and political trust in the spirit of openness, equality, and inclusiveness. We have respected each other's social systems and have developed and explored the sound way for nations to interact with each other.
Over past 15 yrs,our 5 nations enhanced strategic communication&political trust in spirit of openness, inclusiveness&equality,respected each other's social system, development&explored sound way for nations to interact with each other: Chinese Pres Xi Jinping at 13th BRICS Summit pic.twitter.com/Uko7lD9sFP— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• He further added that since the start of this year, the five nations have also maintained the momentum of BRICS and have secured new progress in various areas. He further added that as long as we pool our minds and efforts, we can make solid & smooth progress in BRICS cooperation.
Since the start of this year, our 5 countries have maintained the momentum of BRICS cooperation and secured new progress in many areas. As long as we pool our minds and efforts, we can make smooth, solid progress in BRICS cooperation, come what may: Chinese President Xi Jinping pic.twitter.com/an6b5YYAr2— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
Afghanistan should not become a threat: Russian President Putin
• Highlighting the ongoing Afghanistan crisis, the President of Russia Vladimir Putin said that the withdrawal of US forces and its allies from Afghanistan has led to a new crisis and it is still unclear that how it will affect global and regional security.
The withdrawal of US forces & its allies from Afghanistan has led to a new crisis, and it's still unclear how this will affect global & regional security. It is for good reason that our countries have paid special attention to this issue: Russian Pres Vladimir Putin pic.twitter.com/u8HAI6Yeb3— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
• President Putin further added that Afghanistan should not become a threat to its neighbouring countries, a source of terrorism and drug trafficking.
Afghanistan should not become a threat to its neighbouring countries, a source of terrorism and drug trafficking: Russian President Vladimir Putin during 13th BRICS Summit pic.twitter.com/UN3oLbejRr— ANI (@ANI) September 9, 2021
13th BRICS Summit 2021: What will be on agenda?
• Reportedly, the leaders of the 5 countries will deliberate on significant regional and global issues including Afghanistan as the Taliban takes over Kabul.
• During the BRICS summit, the leaders will underscore the priority of fighting terrorism, which will also include preventing attempts by terror organisations to use Afghanistan as a sanctuary to carry out attacks on other nations.
• The BRICS summit meeting will also be attended by the National Security Advisor of India Ajit Doval, the pro temper chair of BRICS Business Council Onkar Kanwar, President of the New Development Bank Marcos Troyjo, and the pro tempore chair of the BRICS Women’s Business Alliance Sangita Reddy.
• The officials will present the reports on the outcomes pursued in 2021 under their respective tracks to the leaders during the summit.
• In addition to all these, the leaders during the BRICS Summit will also exchange views on the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic and the other current global and regional issues.
India’s chairship at BRICS: What are its priority areas?
For its chairship at BRICS, India has outlined four priority areas. These are-
1. Reform of the Multilateral system
3. Using Digital and Technological tools for achieving SDGs
4. Enhancing People to People exchange
The Indian Chairship of BRICS in 2021 also coincides with the 15th anniversary of BRICS. Russia had hosted the last BRICS summit.
BRICS is the grouping of five major emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa. The members of the grouping are known for their significant influence on regional affairs and since 2009, the leaders of the countries have met annually at format summits.
In BRICS, originally the first four were grouped as BRIC before South Africa was inducted in 2010. However, the existence of the BRICS grouping does not signify any form of informal or formal alliance, there are multiple territorial, economic, and political disputes between the 5 member nations.