The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs on February 8, 2019 instituted the ‘PMAY (U) awards for Implementation and Innovation’ under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) to reward the “Top Performers” in different categories and attain the goal of ‘Housing for All’ in a sustained manner.
The award scheme aims to recognise the outstanding performance and promote a healthy competition between States and UTs, Urban Local Bodies, Beneficiaries and Housing Finance Corporations.
PMAY (U) awards for Implementation and Innovation
• The Award has 3 broad levels. The first level is for States, UTs and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) for performance on key indicators of the Mission.
• There would be separate competition among Municipal Corporations and Municipalities within the ULBs.
• The awards will recognise and reward the selected beneficiaries from each State/UT under ‘Beneficiary-led Construction’ component for building their house in a most aesthetic and innovative manner.
• A few Special Category awards to give special recognition to States/ UTs for Innovative Technology in construction, community mobilisation, slum redevelopment, and project monitoring have also been instituted.
The rank of States or the UTs in the PMAY (U) awards will influence their monthly incremental progress on vital parameters which will be given more weightage for the period Jan 2019 to May 2019.
The ranking of States/UTs will be made public every month to create competitive environment among stakeholders. The winners will be awarded in a special national event which will be held in New Delhi tentatively in June 2019.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
• Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) or ‘Housing for all’ is a housing scheme for all the people who belong to lower income group, economically weaker section and Middle Income Group in India.
• Launched in 2015, the scheme is divided into two parts, PMAY (Urban) and PMAY (Gramin).
• Under PMAY (Urban), houses are being constructed in the urban areas, mainly the congested slums areas are converted into pucca or permanent houses for inhabitants and covers other people from LIG ,EWS and MIG categories.
• The total project cost approved under PMAY (U) stands at Rs. 2.81 lakh crore with a Central Assistance of Rs. 77,934 crore.
• The scheme aims to provide 2 crore houses across nation’s length and breadth. The scheme is estimated to be completed by 2022.
• Till now, the PMAY (U) mission has achieved a significant milestone of approving 73 Lakh houses against a demand of about 1 Crore houses in urban areas. Out of these, around 39 Lakh houses are at various stages of construction and around 15 Lakh houses have already been completed.