The Union Cabinet on May 2, 2018 approved the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) beyond the 12th Five Year Plan for a period of three year from 2017-18 to 2019-20 with the financial outlay of Rs 14832 crores.
The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana was initially approved in March 2006 with an aim to correct the imbalances in the availability of affordable healthcare facilities across the country and augmenting facilities for quality medical education in the under-served States, in particular.
Key Highlights of the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY)
• PMSSY has two components - setting up of AIIMS in various states and upgradation of existing Government Medical Colleges (GMC).
• PMSSY will lead to development of apex level medical education and nursing education and connected research facilities.
• It will also lead to creation of tertiary level health care infrastructure through establishment of new AIIMS and will enhance cross linkages between primary, secondary and tertiary level health care facilities.
• The construction of new AIIMS will be fully funded by the Central Government and their operations and maintenance expenses will also be fully borne by the Central Government.
• The setting up AIIMS in various states will lead to employment generation for nearly 3000 people in various faculty and non faculty posts in each of the AIIMS. A 960 bedded AIIMS hospital will create a total of 4089 posts.
• Indirect employment generation will also take place due to facilities and services like shopping centre, canteens, etc. in the vicinity of new AIIMS.
• AIIMS will add 100 UG (MBBS) and 60 B.Sc (Nursing) seats, 15-20 Super Specialty Departments and around 750 hospital beds.
• Under each Government Medical Colleges up-gradation project, 8-10 Super Specialty Departments and around 15 new PG seats will be added on an average.
• Each new AIIMS will cater to around 1500 OPD patients every day and around 1000 IPD patients every month.
Union Cabinet approves setting up of AIIMS in Bilaspur
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.