Scientists in Netherlands develop a new, super-fast Wi-Fi network
A team of scientists in the Netherlands has developed a new wireless internet network, which will work a hundred times faster than the best existing networks.
Scientists have developed a new wireless technology based on infrared rays, which is reportedly 100 times faster than the existing wireless internet networks.
The Wi-Fi network has been developed by researchers at the Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands. It not only has a capacity of more than Gigabits per second but it also eliminates the need to share Wi-Fi as every device will get its own ray of light.
• The wireless network will be accessible through few central light antennas, which when mounted on the ceiling, will precisely direct the rays of light supplied by an optical fibre.
• The composition of the antenna includes a pair of gratings that help radiate light rays of different wavelengths at different angles.
• Changing the wavelength of the light also results in a change in the direction of the ray of light. For the same a safe infrared wavelength is used, which does not reach the retina of the human eye.
• The same light antenna assigns different devices different wavelengths so that they do not have to share capacity.
• In the case of a user, who is walking with a smartphone or a tablet, as soon the device will move out of the zone of one light antenna’s direction, the other will take over.
Besides this, the new network is capable of tracking the exact location of every wireless device using its radio signal transmitted in the return direction.
According to the research team, even with the best Wi-Fi systems that are available currently, users would not be able to get more speed than 300 Megabit/s in total, which is almost a hundred times lesser than the speed per ray of light that can be achieved by the new system.
The system has so far used the light rays only to download, uploads are still done using radio signals, as in most applications much less capacity is needed for uploading.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS