19 March 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Russian Elections 2018, Worldwide Cost of Living report 2018 and WEF Energy Transition Index among others.
1. What was India’s rank in the WEF Energy Transition Index 2018?
2. Which team won the Nidahas T20 tri-series cricket tournament?
a) Sri Lanka
3. Who won Russian Elections 2018?
a) Vladimir Putin
b) Pavel Grudinin
c) Vladimir Zhirinovsky
d) Alexei Navalny
4. Which state became the first to conduct a household survey exclusively to estimate the Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) at the state and district levels?
b) Andhra Pradesh
5. New study suggests that electronic cigarettes can cause harm to which vital organ?
6. Which state is hosting a mahayagya to curb pollution?
c) Uttar Pradesh
7. Which city was ranked as the world’s costliest city in the Economist Intelligence Unit’s latest Worldwide Cost of Living report 2018?
a) Los Angeles
d) New York
8. Which city was ranked as the world’s cheapest city in the Worldwide Cost of Living report 2018?
c) Tel Aviv
9. Which state government will collaborate with Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (RIMES) for disaster management?
10. Where will be the 2018 Global Digital Summit organised?
11. Who will be the new Chief Economic Advisor of the US President Donald Trump?
a) Larry Kudlow
b) Rex W Tillerson
c) Gary Cohen
d) Andrew Mccabe
12. Which country announced immediate withdrawal from the International Criminal Court?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) 78th
India was ranked 78th among 114 on the World Economic Forum (WEF)’s Energy Transition Index (ETI) 2018. The Energy Transition Index was topped by Sweden, followed by Norway at the second position and Switzerland at the third.
2. (d) India
India on March 18, 2018 pulled off an unforgettable chase beating Bangladesh by four wickets in the Nidahas T20 tri-series final at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The nerve-breaking victory came as a result of an incredible performance by wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Karthik who came in at the fag end of India’s batting, with the team needing 34 off the last two overs.
3. (a) Vladimir Putin
Vladimir Putin, who has literally been at the helm of Russian politics since the turn of the century, cruised through another historic victory by winning a fourth term in Russia’s Presidential Elections on March 18, 2018.
4. (b) Andhra Pradesh
Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu recently released the Andhra Pradesh Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) Report 2017. According to the report, the State secured an Index value of 0.0825 (value ranges from 0 to 1; 0 being the best and 1 being the worst).
5. (b) Liver
According to a new study, using electronic cigarettes may lead to an accumulation of fat in the liver, consequentially causing harm to the vital organ. The study was conducted on mice, which were exposed to e-cigarettes.
6. (c) Uttar Pradesh
The Shri Ayuchandi Mahayagya Samiti started a nine-day-long mahayagya on March 18, 2018 at the Bhainsali grounds in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.The mahayagya will see the burning of nearly 500 quintals of mango tree wood during this Navratri period. The purpose of holding this grand holy fire is to apparently 'curb pollution' levels during Navratri.
7. (b) Singapore
The Economist Intelligence Unit’s latest Worldwide Cost of Living report 2018 has ranked Singapore as the world’s most expensive city for the fifth straight year, while Syrian capital Damascus was ranked as the world’s cheapest city.
8. (d) Damascus
The Economist Intelligence Unit’s latest Worldwide Cost of Living report 2018 has ranked Syrian capital Damascus as the world’s cheapest city. The city has fallen by 14 places in the past 12 months. Last year the cheapest city tag was held by Kazakhstan’s business centre, Almaty.
9. (c) Odisha
The Odisha government will collaborate with the Thailand-based Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (RIMES) for strengthening its early warning services and enhancing preparedness for management of hazards in the State.
10. (d) Kerala
Global Digital Summit will be held at Kochi, Kerala from March 22 to March 23, 2018. 'Technology Disruption and Inclusion' will be among the main topics for panel discussion.
11. (a) Larry Kudlow
Larry Kudlow wil be the new Chief Economic Advisor of the US President Donald Trump. Kudlow will replace Cohen, who had quit the post after his differences with Trump on imposing a 25% tariff on import of steel & 10% on aluminium.
12. (b) Philippines
The Philippines on March 16, 2018 formally submitted the Letter of Withdrawal from the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC). The move came following the announcement made by President Rodrigo Duterte to withdraw from the ICC.