23 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Asian Games 2018, Fortune's 'Change the World' list 2018 and Kuldip Nayar among others.
23 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Asian Games 2018, Fortune's 'Change the World' list 2018 and Kuldip Nayar among others.
1. Name the veteran Indian woman pacer who recently announced her retirement from T20 Internationals.
a) Anjum Chopra
b) Jhulan Goswami
c) Mithali Raj
d) Harnampreet Kaur
2. Name the writer of ‘India after Nehru’ who passed away recently.
a) Kuldip Nayar
b) Debu Bose
c) Ramnath Goenka
d) Gurudas Kamat
3. Which organisation topped the Fortune's 'Change the World' list 2018?
c) Reliance Jio
d) Bank of America
4. Union Government recently allowed private chemists to sell which drug?
5. President Ram Nath Kovind on August 23, 2018 reassigned which portfolios to Union Minister Arun Jaitley?
a) Ministries of Finance; and Corporate Affairs
b) Ministries of Finance; and Economy, Trade and Industry
c) Ministries of Corporate Affairs; and Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises
d) All of the above
6. Who was appointed as the Governor of Jammu & Kashmir (J&K)?
a) Tathagata Roy
b) Satya Pal Malik
c) Ganga Prasad
d) Kaptan Singh Solanki
7. Who has become the youngest shooter to win silver in the men’s double trap event in Asian Games 2018?
a) Deepak Kumar
b) Lakshay Sheoran
c) Shardul Vihan
d) Sanjeev Rajput
8. The cabinet of which state has approved life imprisonment for sacrilege of religious text?
c) Uttar Pradesh
9. Researchers from which International institute have developed an ‘in-body GPS’ system to track tumours?
a) Stanford University
b) University of Cambridge
c) National University of Singapore
d) Massachusetts Institute of Technology
10. Who has become the only second Indian woman after Sania Mirza to win a medal in the tennis singles event at the Asian Games?
a) Saina Nehwal
b) Ankita Raina
c) Rahi Sarnobat
d) Rahi Sarnobat
11. Which Indian team has entered their third successive finals at the Asian Games?
a) Indian women’s badminton team
b) Indian men’s swimming team
c) Indian women’s kabaddi team
d) Indian wushu team
12. Which social media platform has deleted 652 fake accounts targeting world politics?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Jhulan Goswami
Veteran India pacer Jhulan Goswami announced her retirement from T20 Internationals with immediate effect. She represented India in 68 T20Is picking up 56 wickets which included a five-wicket haul against Australia in 2012.
2. (a) Kuldip Nayar
Veteran journalist, author and human rights activist, Kuldip Nayar passed away on August 23, 2018. He was 95. Nayar, a former editor of the Indian Express, was also the author of 15 books including “Beyond the Lines”, “India after Nehru” and “Emergency Retold”.
3. (c) Reliance Jio
Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani's telecom unit Reliance Jio was ranked as the top company globally on Fortune's 'Change The World' list that ranked companies using the profit motive to help the planet and tackle social problems.
4. (d) Oxytocin
The Union Government on August 21, 2018 permitted private retail chemists to sell Oxytocin with effect from September 1, 2018. Earlier, through a notification dated April 27, 2018, the government stated that the sale of Oxytocin through private retail chemists would be banned from July 1, 2018.
5. (a) Ministries of Finance and Corporate Affairs
President Ram Nath Kovind on August 23, 2018 reassigned the Finance and Corporate Affairs portfolios to Union Minister Arun Jaitley. The temporary charge of both the ministries was given to Union Minister Piyush Goyal as Jaitley had undergone a kidney transplant at AIIMS on May 14, 2018 and was recovering from it.
6. (b) Satya Pal Malik
President Ram Nath Kovind on August 21, 2018 appointed Governors for seven states including Bihar, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim, Meghalaya, and Tripura. Bihar governor Satya Pal Malik was appointed as the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir by the President. Malik replaces incumbent NN Vohra, who has been serving this post since 2008.
7. (c) Shardul Vihan
Young Indian shooter Shardul Vihan has won India’s 17th Asiad medal on Day 5 of Asian Games 2018. The 15-year-old won silver in the finals of the men’s double trap event.
8. (a) Punjab
The Chief Minister of Punjab, Amarinder Singh on August 21, 2018 announced that the state cabinet has approved amendments to the Indian Penal Code (IPC) to make sacrilege of all religious text punishable with life imprisonment. The main objective behind making sacrilege of all religious texts punishable with life imprisonment is to preserve communal harmony.
9. (d) Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Massachusetts General Hospital in the United States have developed a wireless 'in-body GPS' system that can track tumours and pinpoint the location of ingestible implants inside the body.
10. (b) Ankita Raina
Indian tennis player Ankita Raina won bronze on Day 5 of Asian Games 2018 in the tennis women’s singles event, after she lost to 4-6, 7-6 against China’s Zhang Shuai in the semifinals. The 25-year-old became only the second woman from the country after Sania Mirza to win a medal in the singles event at the Asian Games. Mirza, who won silver in the 2006 edition in Doha, followed it up with a bronze in 2010, Guangzhou.
11. (c) Indian women’s kabaddi team
Indian women’s kabaddi team beat Chinese Taipei 27-14 in their semifinal match to stay on course to win their 3rd consecutive Asian Games gold.
12. (b) Facebook
Facebook has removed 652 fake accounts for “coordinated inauthentic behaviour” that originated in Iran and Russia and targeted people across multiple Internet services in the Middle East, Latin America, Britain and the US.