29 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Lakhwar Multi-Purpose Project, 18th Asian Games and foodgrain production in 2017-18 among others.
1. Union Government signed MoU with 6 states for construction of Lakhwar Multi-Purpose Project in Uttarakhand. The Lakhwar multi-purpose project is associated with which river?
2. The Union Government recently released a list of regulations for the commercial use of drones that will be applicable from which date?
a) September 1, 2018
b) October 1, 2018
c) November 1, 2018
d) December 1, 2018
3. The 8th Session of the India-Kenya Joint Trade Committee meeting was held in which city?
4. Who was appointed Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)?
a) Abhinav Joshi
b) Satpal Rana
c) Satya S Tripathi
d) Sahil Shingi
5. The Government has constituted a new council to advise the Prime Minister of which matters?
a) Nation building
b) Disaster management
d) Science and technology
6. Which state has passed its Police (Amendment) Bill?
7. Who won India’s first silver medal in Kurash at the 18th Asian Games in Indonesia?
a) Pinky Balhara
b) Malaprabha Yallapa Jadav
c) Neena Varakil
d) Sudha Singh
8. Which country has signed a $300 million loan agreement with the World Bank to scale up its energy efficiency programme?
d) Sri Lanka
9. Which city is hosting SAARC Agri Cooperative Business Forum?
b) New Delhi
10. As per estimates of the Agriculture Ministry, how much increase was recorded in foodgrain production in 2017-18?
a) 274.5 million tones
b) 292.7 million tones
c) 268.3 million tones
d) 284.8 million tones
1. (a) Yamuna
Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari on August 28, 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Chief Ministers of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Delhi, and Himachal Pradesh for the construction of the Rs 3966.51 crore Lakhwar Multi-Purpose projects in the Upper Yamuna Basin near Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
2. (d) December 1, 2018
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation on August 27, 2018 issued the Civil Aviation Requirements (CAR) or regulations for civil use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) commonly known as drones. The regulations were developed after extensive consultations among various stakeholders, and will be effective from December 1, 2018.
3. (b) Nairobi
8th Session of the India-Kenya Joint Trade Committee meeting was held in Nairobi, Kenya from 22-25 August. India is keen to explore new opportunities in logistics, agriculture, energy, pharma and many other sectors with Kenya.
4. (c) Satya S Tripathi
Satya S Tripathi, the veteran Indian development economist and UN official, was appointed Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). The appointment was made by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
5. (a) Science and technology
The Union Government has constituted a 21-member science and technology council to advice Prime Minister Narendra Modi on matters related to science, technology and innovations. The council, named as Prime Minister's Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Committee (PM-STIAC), will be headed by K Vijay Raghavan, the principal scientific adviser to the Union Government.
6. (b) Punjab
The Punjab Assembly on August 28, 2018 passed the Police (Amendment) Bill 2018, which would pave way for setting up of a State Security Commission for selection of the director general of police. The Punjab Police Act 2007, enacted on February 5, 2008, which this Bill amends, did not provide for selection of the DGP from the panel as prepared by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
7. (a) Pinky Balhara
In the day of silvers on Day 10 of Asian Games 2018, Pinky Balhara won silver in the women's 52 kg final after she lost to Uzbekistan's Gulnor Sulaymanova by 10-0. This was India's second medal in Kurash. India's first medal in the event came through Malaprabha Yallapa Jadav, who picked up bronze following her semifinal defeat.
8. (c) India
The Union Government of India and World Bank have signed a $220 million loan agreement and a $80 million guarantee agreement for the India Energy Efficiency Scale-Up programme. The programme will largely tackle the financing, awareness, technical and capacity barriers faced by new energy efficiency programmes.
9. (d) Kathmandu
The First South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Agri Cooperative Business Forum began in Kathmandu on August 28, 2018. The theme of the three-day Forum is the 'Organising and Strengthening Family Farmers’ Cooperatives to attain the Sustainable-Development-Goals-1 and 2 in South Asia'.
10. (d) 284.8 million tones
The production of foodgrains touched a record high of 284.8 million tonnes in 2017-18 on the back of last year’s normal monsoon, according to the fourth advance estimates of crop production released on August 28, 2018 by the Agriculture Ministry. The estimates are an upward revision from the 277.5 million tonnes estimated in February 2018.