Top Current Affairs Quiz: 30 August 2018
The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Asian Games 2018, 4th BIMSTEC Summit and ‘Gaganyaan’ mission among others.
Sangeeta NairAug 30, 2018 17:05 IST
30 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Asian Games 2018, 4th BIMSTEC Summit and ‘Gaganyaan’ mission among others.
1. Who is the first Indian to win an Asiad gold in the women's heptathlon event?
a) Soma Biswas
b) Dutee Chand
c) Swapna Barman
d) Hima Das
2. Which city is hosting the third edition of ‘Smart India Hackathon’?
a) New Delhi
3. The Union Cabinet has approved to release how much additional Dearness Allowance (DA) for Central Government employees?
a) 5 per cent
b) 3 per cent
c) 2 per cent
d) 1.5 per cent
4. The Union Cabinet has approved to release how much additional Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners?
a) 7 per cent
b) 2 per cent
c) 3 per cent
d) 4 per cent
5. What is the revised cost estimate for setting up of India Post Payments Bank, as approved by the Union Cabinet on August 29, 2018?
a) Rs 1000 crore
b) Rs 500 crore
c) Rs 1200 crore
d) Rs 1435 crore
6. The Union Cabinet has approved signing of an Air Services agreement between India and which nation?
7. The 4th BIMSTEC Summit began on August 30, 2018 in which city?
8. What percent of the demonetised currency has been returned, as per the Annual Report 2017-18 of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)?
a) 98.2 percent
b) 99.0 percent
c) 99. 3 percent
d) 99. 8 percent
9. The Union Government and ADB signed USD 375 million loan agreement to improve irrigation efficiency in which state?
a) Madhya Pradesh
10. ISRO will launch the Human Spaceflight Mission ‘Gaganyaan’ by which year?
11. When is the National Sports Day celebrated in India every year?
a) August 26
b) August 27
c) August 28
d) August 29
12. Which company launched Project Navlekha to help Indian news publishers to take their content online?
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) Swapna Barman
The Day 11 of the 18th Asian Games was historic for India, as Swapna Barman won the nation’s first-ever Asiad gold in the women's heptathlon event. Barman, who has six toes in both her feet, competed in the event with her jaw taped up, as she was battling an excruciating toothache.
2. (a) New Delhi
The third edition of world’s biggest open innovation model ‘Smart India Hackathon 2019’ was launched by the Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi. For the first time, the 2019 edition of Smart India Hackathon will include problem statements from the private sector and non-governmental organisations.
3. (c) 2 per cent
The Union Cabinet has approved to release an additional 2 per cent Dearness Allowance (DA) to the Central Government employees from July 1, 2018. This will benefit about 48.41 lakh Central Government employees.
4. (b) 2 per cent
The Union Cabinet has approved to release an additional 2 per cent Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners with effect from July 1, 2018. This will benefit about 62.03 lakh pensioners. This increase is in accordance with the accepted formula, which is based on the recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission.
5. (d) Rs 1435 crore
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for revision of the project outlay for setting up of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) from Rs 800 crore to Rs 1435 crore. The additional sum of Rs 635 crore in the revised cost estimates is on account of Rs 400 crore for Technology Costs and Rs 235 crore for Human Resource Costs.
6. (b) Morocco
The Union Cabinet has approved the revised air services agreement to be signed between India and Morocco. The agreement will provide enabling environment for enhanced and seamless connectivity while providing commercial opportunities to the carriers of both the sides ensuring greater safety and security.
7. (b) Kathmandu
The 4th BIMSTEC Summit began on August 30, 2018 in Kathmandu, Nepal. The two-day Summit will be held during August 30-31, 2018 with the main focus on countering terrorism, enhancing regional connectivity and boosting trade.
8. (c) 99. 3 percent
RBI has completed the processing of demonetised Rs 500 and 1000 banknotes; 99.3 percent of the notes worth Rs 15.3 lakh crore have been returned to banks. The total value of the Rs 500 and Rs 1000 banknotes as on November 8, 2016 stood at Rs 15,417.93 lakh crore, and the total value of the notes returned from circulation was Rs 15310.73 lakh crore.
9. (a) Madhya Pradesh
The Union Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on August 30, 2018 signed a USD 375 million loan agreement for ‘Madhya Pradesh Irrigation Efficiency Improvement Project’. The ADB funds will be used to develop a large-scale pressurised and automated irrigation system for boosting irrigation efficiency.
10. (d) 2022
The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has decided to launch `Gaganyaan — India’s first human spaceflight programme’ by 2022. The mission will send a 3-member crew to space for a period of 5 to 7 days. The spacecraft will be placed in a low earth orbit of 300-400 km and the total programme cost is expected to be less than Rs 10,000 crores.
11. (d) August 29
India on August 29, 2018 observed the National Sports Day 2018 to mark the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand who was born on August 29, 1905.
12. (a) Google
Search engine giant Google launched Project Navlekha to make online content relevant for more Indian users especially in local languages. It was unveiled along with host of upgrades of Google’s other products at fourth ‘Google for India’ event held in New Delhi.