Veerappan, Chasing the Brigand authored by K Vijay Kumar
K Vijay Kumar headed the special task force that killed Veerappan during the Operation Cocoon in 2004.
Veerappan, Chasing the Brigand: K Vijay Kumar
The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on 8 February 2017 released the book titled - Veerappan, Chasing the Brigand.
The book was written by K Vijay Kumar, Senior Security Adviser in the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
The book is considered as an authoritative narrative as the author K Vijay Kumar spearheaded the Tamil Nadu Special Task Force (STF) that planned and executed the Veerappan’s encounter in 2004.
Highlights of Veerappan, Chasing the Brigand
• The book is a lucid and incisive account of the rise and fall of India’s most dreaded forest brigand.
• The book narrates various incidents that shaped Veerappan’s life - whether it is his birth in Gopinatham in 1952 or his death in 2004 in a shootout in Padi.
• It traces his dramatic rise from a small-time poacher and sandalwood smuggler to a brutal fugitive who held three states to ransom for two decades.
• The book describes ruthless killings and high-profile kidnappings masterminded by Veerappan in a fascinating detail.
About K Vijay Kumar
• He is a former 1975 batch IPS officer of the Tamil Nadu cadre.
• He headed the prestigious Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNA) in Hyderabad in 2008.
• He also served as the Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).