Article 370 Scrapped: Impacts on Jammu & Kashmir
Article 370 came into force since November 17, 1952. Article 370 in Part XXI of the Indian constitution grants a special status to Jammu and Kashmir. Till August 4, 2019; It was the only Indian state which has its own separate state constitution and National Flag. But now the j&K will neither have separate Constitutions of state nor separate National Flag of the state.
Now let’s read in detail that what would change in the J&K after the abolition of article 370 in the Indian constitution.
1. Now the J&K will be divided into two states I.e J&K and Ladakh.
2. Both Ladakh and Jammu and Kashmir will be Union territory. But there is a difference in these Union Territories; Jammu and Kashmir will have a state Legislative Assembly like Delhi and Puducherry while Ladakh would be a Union Territory without Legislative Assembly like Chandigah and Dadra Nagar Haweli etc.
3. Now the all provisions of the article 370 are null and void except clause 1 of the article 370.
4. Clause 1 of the article 370 envisages that Jammu and Kashmir is the integral part of India.
5. After the repeal of article 370; now the reservation policy will get change in the Jammu and Kashmir. Now People of SC/STs/Minority communities will get reservation in Government jobs and admission in colleges and Universities.
6. Now the total Legislative Assembly seats in the state assembly would be;
Total Assembly seats:111
Assembly Seats in kashmir region: 46
Assembly Seats in Jammu region: 37
Assembly Seats in Ladakh region:4
Assembly Seats in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir; 24
After the repeal of article 370; the total assembly seats would reduce to 83 because 4 seats of
Ladakh region would be slashed.
7. Now the every resident of Jammu and Kashmir state would enjoy just single citizenship like all other states of India.
8. Now the Jammu and Kashmir state would have just one National Flag that is our Tri-Colour of India.
9. Now the laws like Right to Information would be applicable in the J&K.
10. Now the article 367 would be applicable in the J&K.
11. Now the article 356 of the Indian constitution would be applicable in the J&K. It means the governor rule is replaced by the president rule in the state.
12. All the citizens of India would be eligible to purchase land in the J&K.
13. Now the tenure of the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly is reduced to 5 years from 6 years of earlier.
So the abolition of the article 370 would not only change the geography of the J&K but also demography of the state also. We have to wait and watch to see the real impacts of this historic day in the near future.