Do you know about National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change
The National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change is one of the eight missions under the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) with an aimed at networking existing knowledge institutions, capacity building & improving understanding of key climate processes and climate risks.
Objectives of the National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change
The prime objective of the mission is to build a dynamic and vibrant knowledge system that informs and supports national policy and action for responding effectively to climate change challenges, while not compromising on the nation’s growth goals. The main objectives of the mission are given below:
1. Formation of knowledge networks among the existing knowledge institutions engaged in research and development relating to climate science and facilitates data sharing and exchange through a suitable policy framework and institutional support.
2. Establishment of global technology watch groups with institutional capacities to carry out research on risk minimized technology selection for developmental choices.
3. Development of national capacity for modelling the regional impact of climate change on different ecological zones within the country for different seasons and living standards.
4. Establishing research networks and encouraging research in the areas of climate change impacts on important socio-economic sectors like agriculture, health, natural ecosystem, bio-diversity, coastal zones, etc.
5. Generation and development of the conceptual and knowledge basis for defining sustainability of development pathways in the light of responsible climate change related actions.
6. Providing an improved understanding and awareness of the key climate processes and the resultant climate risks and associated consequences.
7. Complementing the efforts under the other national missions, strengthen indigenous capacity for the development of appropriate technologies for responding to climate change through adaptation and mitigation and promote their utilization by the Government and societies for sustainable growth of economies.
8. Creating institutional capacity for research infrastructure including access to relevant data sets, computing and communication facilities and awareness to improve the quality and sector specific scenarios of climate change over the Indian subcontinent.
9. Ensuring the flow and generation of human resources through a variety of measures including incentives to attract young scientists to climate science.
10. Building alliances and partnerships through global collaboration in research & technology development on climate change under International and bilateral S&T cooperation arrangements.
Focussed Area of the National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change
1. To collect information and data about climate change and positioning of a data sharing policy framework for building strategic knowledge among the various arms of the Government
2. To identify the knowledge gaps, and form global technology watch groups who help to accomplish the task of technology selection and prioritization
3. To create a good networking of knowledge institutions after investing critical mass of physical, intellectual and policy infrastructure resources
4. To established new dedicated centres institutional framework for building of human capacities on climate change.
5. To promote research and development and innovation on climate science, technologies and applications through nationally coordinated Extra Mural Research, Development and Delivery programmes but consistent with the mission mode actions defined above
6. Building international cooperation on S&T for climate change agenda through strategic alliances and g) Assistance to the formulation of policies for a sustained developmental agenda within a responsive climate change framework and inputs to the Ministry of Environment and Forests and Ministry of External Affairs.
It is very important mission because it should address climate science with region specific modelling; an assessment of various technology scenarios and alternatives for complying with national objectives; leveraging international cooperation and strengthening our initiatives for selection and development of new technologies for adaptation and mitigation; and ensuring that knowledge gaps are bridged.