Are you worried or stressed? Click here for Expert Advice
Next

List of Hottest and Coldest Planets in the Solar System

Shakeel Anwar

The planets of the Solar System can be divided into categories based on their composition, i.e. Terrestrial planets (made up of rocks) and Giant planets (gas giants and ice giants). The temperature of the planets in the Solar system depends upon their structure and their distance from the Sun.

Moreover, the nature and composition of the atmosphere of the planets are determined by the points- how much the amount of heat is radiated by the planets as well as how much the heat retains by the planets.

Hottest and Coldest Planet in the Solar System

The lists of hottest and coldest planets in the Solar System are discussed below:

8. Neptune

Mean Temperature: Around -201 Degree Celsius

It is the eighth and farthest known planet from the Sun. It is the fourth-largest planet by diameter, the third-most-massive planet, and the densest giant planet in the Solar System.

7. Uranus  

Mean Temperature: -195 Degree Celsius 

It is the seventh planet from the Sun. It has the third-largest planetary radius and fourth-largest planetary mass in the Solar System. The atmosphere of this planet is similar to Jupiter's and Saturn's in its primary composition of hydrogen and helium, but it contains more "ices" such as water, ammonia, and methane, along with traces of other hydrocarbons.

6. Saturn   

Mean Temperature: -138 Degree Celsius

It is the sixth planet from the Sun and the second-largest in the Solar System, after Jupiter. It is composed of a core of iron-nickel and rock (silicon and oxygen compounds). The atmosphere of this planet contains 96.3% molecular hydrogen and 3.25% helium by volume.

Top 10 Nearest Star System to the Sun

5. Jupiter  

Mean Temperature: -108 Degree Celsius

It is the fifth planet from the Sun and the largest in the Solar System. It is composed of hydrogen with a quarter of its mass being helium, though helium comprises only about a tenth of the number of molecules. The atmosphere of this planet is composed of ammonia crystals and possibly ammonium hydrosulphide.

4. Mars      

Mean Temperature: -28 Degree Celsius

It is the fourth planet from the Sun and the second-smallest planet in the Solar System after Mercury. It is one of the terrestrial planets in the Solar System with a thin atmosphere. The atmosphere of this planet is consists of about 96% carbon dioxide, 1.93% argon, and 1.89% nitrogen along with traces of oxygen and water.

3. Earth     

Mean Temperature: 16 Degree Celsius

It is the third planet from the Sun. It has layers of gases surrounding the earth that consists of the exosphere, thermosphere, mesosphere, stratosphere, and troposphere. The air content and favourable atmospheric pressure also supported the life of most creatures. The air content of carbon dioxide on the Earth is less than that of planets like Venus and Mars. Hence, the less air content of carbon dioxide helps to moderate the Earth's temperature and is absorbed by plants during photosynthesis to produce oxygen.

List of World's Space Explorations Mission

2. Mercury

Mean Temperature (C): 430 Degree Celcius during the day, and -180 Degree Celcius at night

It is the first planet that is nearest to Sun. It is the second hottest planet in the Solar System but this planet has no atmosphere, thus experiences varying temperatures throughout the day. 

1. Venus    

Mean Temperature: 471 Degree Celsius

It is the second planet nearest to the Sun but the hottest in the Solar System. It is one of the four terrestrial planets in the Solar System. It has a dense atmosphere of carbon dioxide (96.5%) and the remaining 3.5% being nitrogen that traps the heat in a runaway version of the greenhouse effect which makes it the hottest planet.

Top 10 Planets with the Largest Number of Natural Satellite

List of Hottest and Coldest Planet in the Solar System

Name of Planets (Hottest to Coldest)

Mean Temperature (Degree Celsius)

1. Venus

471°C

2. Mercury

(430°C) during the day,  (-180°C) at night

3. Earth

16°C

4. Mars

-28°C

5. Jupiter

-108°C

6. Saturn

-138°C

7. Uranus

-195°C

8. Neptune

-201°C

Source: solarsystem.nasa.gov

Related Articles

List of Biggest Natural Satellite in the Solar System

GK Questions and Answers on Solar System

FAQ

What is the temperature of Jupiter in Fahrenheit?

The temperature of Jupiter is minus 162°F.

Name the hottest planet of the Solar System?

Venus is the hottest planet in our Solar System.

रोमांचक गेम्स खेलें और जीतें एक लाख रुपए तक कैश

Related Categories

Live users reading now