TRIFED: Meaning and Objectives
India is called the country of villages. Even after the independence of 72 years of independence around 70% population of the country still lives in the rural areas and around 55% population of the country is engaged in the agricultural activities. So it becomes the responsibility of the government to take every necessary step to increase the welfare of these sections.
In order to provide good price to the agricultural products the government has setup the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP) in 1985 which declares the Minimum Support Price for 22 agricultural products. In the same way the government has set up the TRIFED in 1987 to provide fair price to the products made by the tribal communities of the country.
What is TRIFED?
The full form of TRIFED is The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India. It was established in 1987. It became operational from April 1988. The basic objective of the TRIFED is to provide good price of the 'Minor Forest Produce (MFP) collected by the tribes of the country.
The head office of the TRIFED is in New Delhi. In addition to head office it has network of 13 Regional offices located at various places in the country.
TRIFED is a national level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
Objectives of the TRIFED are;
1. To provide fair price to the 'Minor Forest Produce (MFP) collected by the tribes and enhance their level of income.
2. To ensure sustainable harvesting of 'Minor Forest Produce (MFP).
3. To save the tribes from the exploitation of the business mediators who purchase the products of the tribes at cheap rate and sell at the higher prices. So TRIFED removed the mediators.
4. If the price of the products fluctuates then TRIFED arranges compensation for the tribes from the Ministry of Agriculture.
5. TRIFED also assures the tribes for purchasing their products at a particular price, primary processing of products, storage of products and transportation etc.
6. TRIFED provides information related to fair price markets for the 'Minor Forest Produce (MFP). Like tribes of all over country sell their products in the trade fair organised at the Pragati Maidan, New Delhi every year.
7. TRIFED helps in increasing the bargaining power of the tribes to fetch good price of the MFP.
8. TRIFED provides adequate training to the tribes to make value addition to their products.
So it can be concluded that the TRIFED is doing great job in ensuring the good price for the products of the tribes. It is expected that in the coming years the TRIFED will get success in enhancing the standard of living of this community.