Samjhauta Express: Facts at a Glance
Samjhauta Express is also known as the 'Friendship Express'. It is a bi-weekly train. The word Samjhauta means 'agreement', 'accord' and 'compromise' in both Hindi and Urdu language.
Interesting facts about Samjhauta Express
- Samjhauta Express runs from the Indian capital Delhi to Attari on the border and then on to Lahore in Pakistan.
- Since partition in 1947, it is the oldest link between India and Pakistan. On 22 July, 1976 during Shimla agreement, the service of train was started but initially it ran between Amritsar (India) and Lahore (Pakistan). That time it provides service daily but from 1994 the schedule of the train changed and become bi-weekly.
- During Shimla Agreement, Samjhauta Express got its name. Shimla agreement took place between the Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi and Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto of Paksitan in 1972. It was a peace treaty to reverse the consequences of the 1971 war.
- Samjhauta Express is also known as 'Peace Train'. As, it caters the needs of the common people who were separated after the partition.
- Samjhauta Express or Attari Express in India starts from Old Delhi Railway station and then it travels to Attari, where the name of Attari Express changes formally to Samjhauta Express.
- At Attari, after customs and immigration clearances, passengers start their journey to Lahore in Pakistan through the Wagah border.
Note: Wagah is the border between India and Pakistan road crossing between Amritsar, India and Lahore, Pakistan.
Samjhauta Express route
- The Samjhauta Express comprises six sleeper coaches and an AC 3-tier coach.
- To book the ticket for the Samjhauta Express train, an individual required a passport.
- When train starts its journey from Old Delhi Station to Attari, there is no stoppage in between. So, a person can't book the ticket for intermediate station.
- From Lahore the train departs on Monday and Thursday. The train operates from Delhi on every Wednesday and Sunday.
- For Samjhauta Express train, APR that is Advance booking of the ticket is possible only before 15 days instead of 120 days.
- Samjhauta Express train is considered like Duronto or like other premium trains while travelling from Old Delhi to Attari. Due to safety reasons, it never late and never stops in between the journey.
- It is also said that the Samjhauta Express train service was set up by an agreement between Indian Railways and Pakistan Railways to alternately use an Indian and Pakistani rake and locomotive for six months at a time for the train. Therefore, for six months it is run by Indian railways and for another six months by Pakistan Railways.
So, now you may come to know about the Samjhauta Express train. That is the train from Indian side runs from Old Delhi Railway Station to Attari without any stoppage in between and from Pakistan side, Lahore to Wagah.