World Bicycle Day 2021: Date, History, and Health Benefits of Cycling
World Bicycle Day 2021: The day highlights the attention towards the benefits of using the bicycle which is a simple, affordable, clean, and environmentally fit sustainable means of transportation. It is celebrated on 3rd June.
From 14 to 16 October 2021, the UN Sustainable Transport Conference will take place in Beijing, China and will focus on the central role that sustainable transport plays in achieving the SDGs and Paris Agreement on climate change. Not only this, but the forum also highlights opportunities, challenges, and solutions in achieving a sustainable transport system across the world.
The day celebrates the uniqueness, durability, and versatility of the bicycle and promotes it as a simple, sustainable means of transportation.
Bicycle is good for physical and mental health, also it is good for the environment and the economy. No doubt cycling is a wonderful workout and keeps you active. It helps to shape a healthy lifestyle.
If you want to be fit and healthy you should be physically active. Regular physical activity can help in protecting against several diseases including obesity, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, diabetes, and arthritis, etc. Bicycle riding regularly is a good option to be fit and also reduce the risk of health problems based on lifestyle.
World Bicycle Day: History
The United Nations General Assembly declared 3 June as World Bicycle Day acknowledging the individuality, durability, and versatility of the bicycle, which has been in use for 2 centuries. The day will encourage the stakeholders to understand emphasize and advance the use of the bicycle in fostering sustainable development, strengthen education for children and young people, promotes health, prevent diseases, facilitate social inclusion and culture of peace, etc.
The initiatives are also welcomed by the Assembly at national and local levels as a means for strengthening physical and mental health and also to develop a culture of cycling in society.
World Bicycle Day: Significance
According to the UN,
- It encourages the Member States to focus on various development strategies and include bicycles in international, regional, national, and sub-national development policies and programmes.
- It encourages the Member States to upgrade road safety and merge it into sustainable mobility and transport infrastructure planning and design. Also to protect and promote pedestrian safety and cycling mobility for better health outcomes.
- The day encourages the Member States to opt for best practices and means to promote bicycle among all the members of the society and to organise bicycle rides at national and local levels for strengthening physical and mental health and well-being.
Now, let us have a look at the health benefits of the bicycle
Cycling is a kind of aerobic activity that is heart, blood vessels, and lungs all get a workout. It will increase the overall fitness level by experiencing increased body temperature via cycling.
- It increases muscle strength and flexibility.
- It decreases stress levels.
- Increases cardiovascular fitness.
- It improves the mobility of joints.
- It improves posture and coordination.
- It strengthened bones.
- It helps in decreasing body fat levels.
- It helps in the prevention or management of diseases.
- It helps in reducing anxiety and depression.
- Obesity and weight control.
Therefore, World Bicycle Day encourages that cycling is a great exercise, environment friendly, and enhances the fitness level and well-being.