Many of you must have heard the name of local train of Mumbai and metro train of Delhi. Any Mumbaikar can’t imagine the life without its local trains same words are applicable for the metro trains of Delhi. So both types of trains are lifeline of the metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata. Local train and metro trains are generally used as a common purpose i.e. daily commuting by the daily travellers.
But still there are many differences can be point out between these two types of trains. For the simplicity of the readers, first of all we need to define these trains separately;
Local Train is an effective mode of transportation for travelling distances within the city and connecting its suburbs. Local trains don't have special track for their operations because their tracks are also used by the freight trains and other passenger trains.
This train is also used by the daily commuters to cover the short distance or the distance within the city. This is the new concept of trains in india.
Now let’s study the difference between the Local Train and Metro Train;
1. A metro train is a train that is specifically designed to run in metropolitan cities while local trains are designed to connect the distances within the city and its suburbs areas.
2. A metro trains have separate track which is not shared with other trains while the local trains have to share their route with other trains like freight trains and other passenger trains.
3. Kolkata Metro was the first metro in India. The first metro service was inaugurated in Kolkata in 1984 by former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. On the other hand local trains are in operations since the 1853.
4. The local trains have more seats as compared to metro trains.
5. Metro trains can be underground and elevated but all local trains are running on the ground only.
6. The distance covered by the local trains is more than the metro trains.
7. The fare charged by the metro train is more as compared to the local trains.
8. As of now around 10 Indian cities has the metro network while local trains is in operation in almost every big city and town of India.
9. The operating frequency of the metro train is more while the local trains don't have this much frequency and runs at a long interval.
10. The management of the local trains is fully administered by the Ministry of Railway, the Government of India while most of the metro rail operation is administered by the Ministry of Railway and metro authorities of the concerned state government combine.
So these were some basic differences between the local and metro trains. We hope that you understand it.