Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel: GK Questions and Answers on the Iron Man of India
Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel was also known as the Iron Man of India. He is also called the great unifier of India as he was the person responsible for uniting the princely states to the Indian territory. He was India's first Deputy Prime Minister and the country's first Home Minister. Solve the following questions on Sardar Patel below. On December 15, the nation observes his death anniversary as well.
1. What was the full name of Shri Vallabhbhai Patel?
(a) Vallabh Bhai Jhaverbhai Patel
(b) Sardar Patel
(c) Vallabhbhai Patel
(d) None of these
Explanation: Vallabhbhai Patel's full name was Vallabh Bhai, Jhaverbhai Patel. He was known with other names like; Sardar Patel and Iron Man.
2. Which of the following statements is not correct about Shri Vallabhbhai Patel?
(a) Sardar Patel had served as first Deputy Prime Minister, first Home Minister, Information Minister, and Minister of State for Independent India.
(b) Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel was born in Ahmedabad.
(c) Sardar Patel's father's name was Jhaverbhai Patel and his mother's name was Ladba Devi.
(d) Sardar Patel is also known as the Iron Man of India
Explanation: Shri Vallabhbhai Patel was born on 31 October 1875 in Nadiad, Bombay Presidency, British India while he died on 15 December 1950 (age 75) in Mumbai, India. He died of a heart attack.
3. When is "National Unity Day" celebrated in India?
(a) 15 August
(b) 25 December
(c) 31 October
(d) 26 January
Explanation: On 31 October, the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is celebrated as "National Unity Day". It started in 2014.
4. Which of the following statements is not correct about the 'Statue of Unity'?
(a) 'Statue of Unity' is located in Narmada district of Gujarat
(b) Its height is equal to the Statue of Liberty
(c) The Statue of Unity was dedicated to the nation on 31 October 2018
(d) The height of the Statue of Unity is about 182 meters (597 ft).
Explanation: The Statue of Unity is located in the Narmada district of Gujarat and is the tallest statue in the world that was dedicated to the nation on 31 October 2018. The Statue of Unity has a height of 182 meters (597 ft), while the height of 'Statue of Liberty' is just 93 meters.
5. During which movement was Sardar Patel given the title of Sardar?
(a) Salt Satyagraha
(b) Operation Polo
(c) Quit India Movement
(d) Bardoli Satyagraha
Explanation: The Bardoli Satyagraha was a major peasant movement in Gujarat in the year 1928, led by Vallabhbhai Patel. Only after its success, Patel Saab was given the title of Sardar.
6. Who gave the title of Sardar to Vallabhbhai Patel?
(a) Subhash Chandra Bose
(b) Mahatma Gandhi
(c) Bardoli women
(d) Sarojini Naidu
Explanation: After the success of the Bardoli Satyagraha movement, the women of Bardoli gave this title to Sardar Patel.
7. Which operation was carried out by Sardar Patel to make Hyderabad State a part of the Indian Republic?
(a) Operation Blue Star
(b) Operation Polo
(c) Operation seize
(d) Operation Unity
Explanation: At the time of independence there were 565 indigenous princely states in India, which was 40 percent of the total area of India. Sardar Patel had included every state in Indian union by negotiation but Hyderabad princely state was included only after the 'Operation Polo' which was a military operation.
8. When was the honor of Bharat Ratna awarded to Sardar Patel?
Explanation: Bharat Ratna was awarded posthumously to Sardar Patel in 1991.
9. When was Sardar Patel first appointed President of Congress?
Explanation: Sardar Patel presided over the Karachi session of the Indian National Congress in March 1931. This was the 46th session of the Indian National Congress called to ratify the Gandhi Irwin Pact.
10. Who was the first Home Minister of India?
(a) Guljari Lal Nanda
(b) Sardar Patel
(c) Jawahar Lal Nehru
(d) Govind Ballabh Pant
Explanation: Sardar Patel was the first Home Minister of India. He presided over the post on 15 August 1947and remained there till 12 December 1950.
11. Consider the following statements regarding Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
1. He travelled to London in August 1910 to study at the Middle Temple.
2. He returned to India in February 1913 and settled in Ahmadabad.
3. In 1917, his life changed after having been influenced by Mohandas K. Gandhi.
Which of the following statements are correct?
A. Both 1 and 2
B. Both 1 and 3
C. Both 2 and 3
D. 1, 2 and 3
Explanation: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel travelled to London in August 1910 to study at the Middle Temple. He returned to India in February 1913 and settled in Ahmadabad. In 1917, his life changed after having been influenced by Mohandas K. Gandhi.