Agriculture is called the backbone of economy of Uttar Pradesh. Uttar Pradesh is the top producer of food grain in the country. This state produces all weather crops i.e. (Rabi, Kharif and Zayed). This article contains some important facts based on the economy of the Uttar Pradesh.
Let’s have a look;
1. There are 59% population of the Uttar Pradesh is employed by the agriculture sector.
2. In the financial year 2016-17, the contribution of primary, secondary and tertiary sector in the economy of Uttar Pradesh was 24%, 27% and 49% respectively.
3. Uttar Pradesh is the largest milk producing state in the country. The state's share in the total milk production of the country is approximately 16.83 percent. During the financial year 2016-17, the state's milk production was approximately 27.77 million tonnes.
4. The average holding size of agriculture in Uttar Pradesh is 0.76 hectares which is less than the national average of 1.15 hectares.
5. In the year 2017-18, the state was the largest producer (28,226 thousand tonnes) of vegetables in India.
6. In the financial year 2016-17, food grain production in the state was 49,144.6 thousand tonnes. In the year 2016-17, its contribution in the country's total grain production was about 17.83 percent.
7. The main food grains produced in the state includes rice, wheat, maize, millet, gram, peas and lentils. In the year 2017-18, pulses production in the state was 1,985 thousand tonnes.
8. Uttar Pradesh occupies the top position in the production of the following items; Wheat, Barley, Sugarcane, Potato and Lentils.
9. The following three districts are prominent producers of the mangoes in the state; Lucknow, Saharanpur and Bulandshahr.
10. Pratapgarh and Allahabad are the two biggest producer of the Amla in the Uttar Pradesh.
11. Shahjahanpur and Farrukhabad are the biggest producers of the guava in the state.
12. Barabanki is the largest producer of the opium in the Uttar Pradesh.
13. The Ghazipur district of the Uttar Pradesh has the only opium factory in the state.
14. The highest litchi production take place in the Saharanpur and Meerut districts of the Uttar Pradesh.
15. Saharanpur district of Uttar Pradesh is the highest producer of the orange in the state.
16. The most important cash crop of state is sugarcane. Sugarcane of Meerut district is considered to be the best.
17. Wheat is produced mainly in these districts of the state; Meerut, Bulandshahr, Saharanpur, Agra Aligarh, Muzaffarnagar, Moradabad, Etawah, Kanpur, Farrukhabad and Fatehpur.
18. The major rice producing districts of the state are as follows; Pilibhit, Saharanpur, Maharajganj, Deoria, Gonda, Bahraich, Basti, Rae Bareli, Ballia, Lucknow, Varanasi and Gorakhpur.
One thing is clear from the above given facts that Uttar Pradesh's climate is so diverse that almost every kind of crop is produced here. This is the reason that this state is the leader in the production of many crops produced in the country.