Mithali Raj: Biography, Cricket Records, Hobbies and Awards
Full Name: Mithali Dorai Raj
Date and Place of Birth: December 3, 1982, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Father: Dorai Raj (Airman (Warrant Officer) in the Indian Air Force; thereafter, worked at
Mother: Leela Raj (Working)
Hometown: Secunderabad, India
College/University: Did Not Attend
Educational Qualifications: 12th Standard
Mithali Raj Hobbies: Dancing, Reading
Marital Status: Unmarried
Current age: 36 years 275 days
Height: 163 cms, 5’ 4”
Nick Name: Lady Sachin
Famous For: Being the highest run-scorer in women's international cricket
Playing role: Top-order batsman
Batting style: Right-hand bat
Bowling style: Legbreak
Favourite Shot: Cover Drive
Favourite Cricketer(s): Michael Clarke, Sachin Tendulkar
Coach/Mentor: 1. Jyoti Prasad
2. Sampath Kumar
3. Vinod Sharma
ODI debut: vs Ireland at Milton Keynes, Jun 26, 1999
Test debut: vs England at Lucknow, Jan 14-17, 2002
T20I debut: vs England at Derby, Aug 5, 2006
Awards and honours to Mithali Raj
2003: Arjuna Award
2015: Padma Shri (India's fourth highest civilian award)
2015: Wisden Indian Cricketer of the year
2017: Youth Sports Icon of Excellence Award
2017: Vogue Sportsperson of the Year
2017: BBC 100 Women list 2017
Batting and fielding averages
Mithali Raj has scored 6,720 runs in the 203 international ODI matches at the average of 51.29 which includes 7 centuries and 52 half centuries. In the ODIs; the highest score of Mithali was 125 not out. Mithali Raj has also taken 8 wickets in the ODIs .
Test Match Records;
Mithali Raj has scored 663 runs in 16 innings of 10 test matches which includes a double century (214) a century and 4 half centuries. She has very good average in the test matches i.e. 51 runs per match.
Mithali in T-20 International;
Mithali is the only woman cricketer who scored 2000 runs in Twenty20 Internationals (T20I). She has scored 2364 runs in the 84 innings at the average of 37 runs per match. Highest score of Mithali was 97 runs not out in the T-20I. Although she could not manage to score any century in the T-20I but she has scored 17 half centuries in this format. Mithali has taken retirement from the T20I.
Other Records of Mithali Raj are;
1. Mithali is the highest run-scorer in woman's international cricket.
2. She is the first women cricketer to score 7 consecutive half-centuries in ODI's. Overall, Javed Miandad is the only player ahead of Mithali who scored 9 consecutive half centuries.
3. Mithali holds the record for the 2nd highest score (214 runs) in women's Test cricket.
4. She is the highest run scorer in the ODIs i.e. 6720 runs. She superseded England's Charlotte Edwards (5992 runs).
5. On 1 February 2019; Mithali became the first woman to play 200 ODI matches.
6. Mithali Raj is the only player (male or female) who have captained India in more than one ICC ODI World Cup final. she did so two time in 2017 and 2005.
7. She is the 1st Indian & 5th woman cricketer overall to score over 1,000 World Cup runs.
Cricket is considered the game of men but women cricketers like Mithali has broken this myth and earned a lot of name and fame for the country and herself. It is expected that Mithali Raj would continue to play Test and ODI matches for the country.