Olympics update : Day 14 (10.08.2012)
Today at Olympics: Day 14 (10.08.2012)
Medals are on offer in nine different sports on Friday and big crowds are once again expected to flock to venues in the Olympic Park and beyond to watch the drama unfold.
- Another huge turnout is expected at Hyde Park to watch the men’s 10km Marathon, with Germany’s Thomas Lurz, Oussama Mellouli of Tunisia and Greece’s Spyridon Gianniotis among the leading contenders to win gold in the Serpentine.
- The Netherlands and Argentina go for gold in the women’s Hockey final, with the Dutch team defending their title and Argentina going for a golden treble, as they hold the World and Champions Trophy crowns.
- Six gold medals will be up for grabs on the penultimate evening of Athletics in the Olympic Stadium.
- The women’s 4 x 100m Relay final is expected to be a showdown between the USA and Jamaica, while the women’s Hammer Throw final also takes place on Day 14 of the Games.
- The Bahamas and the USA were the fastest qualifiers after being given the same time of 2:58.87 in heat two, ahead of Trinidad and Tobago and Great Britain who were also given the same time of 3:00.38 in heat one.
- Great Britain’s world champion Sarah Stevenson will go for gold in the women’s -67kg Taekwondo at ExCeL while medals are also up for grabs in the the men’s -80kg categories.
India in Action (Day 14)
- With only three days left in the London Olympics, wrestlers Amit Kumar and Narsingh Yadav get down to business on Friday.
- Narsingh received a bye in the 74kg category qualifications and is set to take on Canada's Matthew Gentry at 06:10pm in the 1/8 final.
- Compatriot Amit too received a bye in the 55kg category qualification round and will take on the winner of the clash between Iran's Hassan Rahimi and Mongolia's Naranbaatar Bayaraa in the 1/8 final.