Olympics update : Day 8 (04.08.2012)
Today at Olympics: Day 8
The 2012 London Olympic Games are already halfway over, but there is still much yet to be decided.
Day 8 will feature men's soccer quarterfinals, Team USA basketball, Carmelita Jeter running her heart out on the second day of track and field, and more.
Major Activities (Sporting events)
Team GB golden girl Jessica Ennis enters the second and final day of the women's heptathlon with the weight of a nation on her shoulders while 10,000m runner Mo Farah should also be in the athletics mix for the home nation in the Olympic Stadium.
Double amputee Oscar Pretorius – the South Africa 'Blade Runner' – makes history in the 400m heats while the fastest man in the world, Jamaica's Usain Bolt, makes his first appearance at London 2012 in the 100m heats.
Bolt's countryman and main rival Yohan Blake will also be in action, as will Justin Gatlin and Asafa Powell. If things go according to plan for Team GB, there could be a deluge of medals on Day Eight: Helen Jenkins one of the favourites to win the women's triathlon in Hyde Park, the women's pursuit track cycling team are in action in the Velodrome while at Eton Dorney four medal events include the men's lightweight double skulls and the men's four.
World number one trampoline gymnast Kat Driscoll – who used to work full time in a bank until two years ago – is up against the agile Chinese and Russian bouncers at the North Greenwich Arena.
How Indians fared on day 8
- On a day when Vijay Kumar won India its second individual Silver medal at the Olympics in 100 years, Saina Nehwal lost out on a chance to get India a Gold
- Vijay Kumar won his first Silver medal and India's second medal in the London 2012 Olympics in the 25 metres Rapid Fire Pistol event.
- It was a bad day for Saina Nehwal as she lost her semi-final match against China's Wang Yihan and now has to contend for the bronze medal against another Chinese Xin Wang.
- Om Prakash failed to impress as he was eliminated in the shot put event bringing India's challenge to an end in one more event.
- India's hockey woes continued as they lost 2-5 to Germany which shuts them out of a last four berth.