Global Day of Parent's 2019: History and Significance
Global Day of Parents also recognises that the family has the primary responsibility for the nurturing and protection of children. It is necessary for the development of children that they grow up in a good family environment, in an atmosphere of happiness, love and understanding. No doubt that family-oriented policies enable to achieve Sustainable Development goals related to doing away hunger and poverty, promote shared economic prosperity, social development etc. Centre of social life is family only.
In this world we can't see God but we have parents. In India they are referred as God. Since ancient times we taught to respect parents and elders. Nowadays due to busy schedule, children are not able to spend their time with parents. So, Parent's Day is the day to celebrate with the whole family, spending time with our parents and near ones. Children give gifts and show their gratitude by staying whole day with them.
Global Day of Parent's 2019: Theme
The theme for the 2019 Global Day of Parents is "Honor Your Parents!"
Parent's day: History
Global day of Parents was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 212 with resolution A/RES/66/292 and honour parents throughout the world . Parent's day is celebrated in different countries on different dates. Like in USA it is celebrated on July (4rth Sunday), South Korea (8 May) etc.
This day recognises the important role of a responsible parenting in everyday life. This day was established in 1994. This was time, when society became self-centred. So, President Bill Clinton of US signed a congressional resolution to commemorate parent's Day with an effort to promote family commitment and parental responsibilities. This idea was supported by the Unification Church, Senator Trent Lott and introduced a bill into the senate. Further, the National Parent's Day Coalition was developed to support this day annually as Parent's of the Year at local, national and state levels.
Not only this in the coalition it is mentioned that educational programs are provided for parents and aims in promoting the stability to the family. Other Organisations use this day to promote the traditional two parent nuclear family model. Parent's Day will be celebrated on the fourth Sunday in July.
Parent's Day History: Timeline
- 17 February, 1897: The National Congress of Mothers is formed from the National Parent Teacher Association in Washington D.C.
- In 1987, its circulation reached more than 2.2 million and its final issue was released in 2013.
- 5 August, 1994: The resolution was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives to establish the fourth Sunday in July as National Parent's Day.
- 4 October, 1994: The Parent's Day resolution was signed by both the House and Senate.
- 14 October, 1994: The resolution was signed by the President Bill Clinton and National Parent's Day is born.
How Parent's Day is celebrated?
- Children spend quality time with their parents. They call and visit them.
- Greet your parents and tell them that they were right. When we were kids we don't understand what our parents say but when we have our own kids then we come to know that parents were right. Isn't it!
- Plan vacation for your parents wherever they want to visit.
In the whole world Parents Day is celebrated but different countries celebrate on different days. But the main aim behind the celebration is same and that is to give appreciation, love, care, respect etc. to the Parent's. Think about them who have lost their parents or are parentless. This is the day to provide gesture to your parents for the sacrifices, nurturing, care, emotional strength etc. given by the parents to us.