The Ashoka Chakra is the depiction of the “Dharmachakra”; represented with 24 spokes. Ashoka Chakra appears on a number of edicts of Ashoka, most prominent among which is the Lion Capital of Ashoka. The Ashok Chakra is visible in the Indian National flag, where it is rendered in a navy blue colour on a white background. The 24 spokes of the Ashok Chakra inspires every Indian to work tirelessly for 24 hours.
Ashok Chakra is also called the wheel of duty. These 24 spokes represent 24 qualities of a person. In other words they can also be said to be 24 religious paths made for humans. All the paths mentioned in the Ashok Chakra will lead any country on the path of progress. This is probably the reason that designers of our national flag removed the Charkha from it and put the Ashok Chakra in the middle of the flag.
Now let us know the meaning of every spoke put in the Ashok Chakra:
1. The first Spoke:- Chastity (inspires to live a simple life)
2. Second Spoke:- Health (inspires to be healthy from body and mind)
3. Third Spoke:- Peace (To maintain peace & harmony throughout the country)
4. Fourth Spoke:- Sacrifice (To be ready for any sacrifice for the sake of the country and society)
5. Fifth Spoke:- Morality (To maintain high morality in the professional and personal life)
6. Sixth Spoke:- Service (Ready to serve country and society when needed)
7. Seventh Spoke:- Forgiveness (A feeling of forgiveness towards humans and other creatures)
8. Eighth Spoke:- Love (feeling of love towards country and all other creature of the God)
9. Ninth Spoke:- Friendship (To have cordial relation with all the citizens)
10. Tenth Spoke:- Fraternity (To develop a sense of brotherhood in the country)
Image source:Steps Ahead Private Limited
11. Eleventh Spoke:- Organization (Strengthening the unity and integrity of the nation)
12. Twelfth Spoke:- Welfare (Participation in welfare activities related to country and society)
13. Thirteenth Spoke:- Prosperity (Actively participate in the development of the country)
14. Fourteenth Spoke:- Industry (To assist the country in its industrial progress)
15. Fifteen Spoke:- Safety (To be always ready for the protection of the country)
16. Sixteenth Spoke:- Awareness (To be aware about the truth and don't believe in rumours)
17. Seventeenth Spoke:- Equality (Establishment of a society based on the equality)
18. Eighteenth Spoke:- Artha ( Optimum utilization of money)
19. Nineteenth Spoke:- Policy (To have faith in country's policy)
Image source:The Indian Express
20. Twentieth Spoke:- Justice (Talking about justice for all)
Image source:ARDD-Legal Aid
21. Twenty-one Spoke:- Co-operation (working together)
22. Twenty second Spoke:- Duties (To obey your duties honestly)
23. Twenty-third Spoke:- Rights (Do not abuse your rights)
24. Twenty-Fourth Spoke:- Wisdom (To have knowledge beyond books)
So in this way you have read that every spoke given in the Ashok Chakra has its own meaning. All the spokes talk about the holistic development of the country. These spokes give clear message to all the countrymen about their rights and duties. These spokes are like 24 principles which should be followed by the citizens so that the differences of caste, religion, language and attire can be minimized.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.