The Coimbatore Institute of Technology is one of the oldest and most popular technology schools in south India. The institute was setup in 1956 under the sponsorship of V. Rangaswamy Naidu Educational Trust (VRET) in affiliation with Madras University, as a premier tech school offering advance programmes in the domain of science and technology. In 1980, the institute got affiliated to Bharathiar University and from 2001 it has been affiliated with the Anna University. The institute was granted the status of an autonomous institute in 1987. It also has the approval of the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).