Founded in 1957, Madhav Institute of Technology & Science (MITS), Gwalior was established by His Highness Sir Jiwaji Rao Scindia, Maharaja of Gwalior. The foundation stone was laid by the then President Rajendra Prasad and was inaugurated by President Dr. S. Radhakrishnan in 1964. The institute of technology is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya (RGVP), Bhopal but obtained academic autonomy in 2002 to offer programme of its choice. MITS, Gwalior was also granted autonomy by University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi with effect from 2017 for a period of six years.
The technology institute is accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) from 2017 onwards for a period of five years. The programmes offered by the institute are accredited by NBA (National Board of Accreditation).